12e Semaine de sensibilisation pour l'élimination de la discrimination raciale
March 19 to March 23, 2012
March 22 - 4:00 p.m.
Business 4 to 7 happy hour 'Paddling together towards prosperity'
Presentation by Mr. Marc Gagnon
Senior Vice-PresidentVice-président - Organisation and Culture Cirque du Soleil, 'The Cirque du Soleil and diversity'
and 'The talk of the town!'
On invitation / Limited places
Activity in french only - email@example.com
March 23 - 1:00 p.m.
Show your colors, be part of this solidarity gathering!
At the Val-d'Or Native Friendship Centre.
'Danse de l'amitié'
This theme week is a privileged moment to discover cultures of the world. On this occasion, UQAT offers a diversified range of very interesting activities.
- Saturday, March 10: Students are invited to an intercultural day in an outdoor setting: snowshoeing, ice fishing, banok bread prepared over an open fire, and sampling of Native meals, are part of the proposed activities.
- Tuesday, March 20: In partnership with the Cégep de l’Abitibi-Témiscamingue, the university and college communities are welcome to the “World Food Lunch” activity to sample meals prepared by students of different nationalities. Other students will present features of their cultural heritage through an exhibition of photographs and objects.
- Also the UQAT Continuing Education Service will present Piwaseha. This one-day training on Native culture and realities will be open to all and given by Janet Mark. For more information on fees or to register, go to (uqat.ca/formation continue). Registration is mandatory and seats are limited.
- Wednesday, March 21: Two screenings will take place on Wednesday: at lunchtime, an episode of the mini-series '8th Fire' (French and English) focusing on the importance of developing an honorable relationship between Native Peoples and today’s Canada. At 4 pm, the movie MESNAK by Yves Sioui Durand will be also presented, followed by a discussion with the film’s director, of Huron-Wendat origin. The film will be subtitled in English. Please register by email with Chantal Gervais: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone, at 819 874-8728 ext. 6330.
- Thursday, March 22: At lunchtime, the students and the personnel will participate in the production of a banner for the Gabriel-Commanda Annual Walk, to be held on the following day.
- Friday, March 23: At 1 pm, the entire population is invited to participate in the Gabriel-Commanda Annual Walk. This walk, organized by the Val-d’Or Native Friendship Centre, is a privileged moment to build awareness among the population against racial discrimination. Several members of the university community will attend.
For more information on activities to be held at the UQAT Val-d’Or Campus within the framework of the Awareness Week for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination, please contact:
Laurie Chabot, Student Life Counsellor, UQAT Val-d’Or Campus
819 874-8728 ext. 6304 — email@example.com